These crispy vegan latkes, Jewish potato pancakes, are gorgeously easy however filled with taste. And they’re prepared in minutes!
I’m at all times attempting my hand at making vegan latkes or potato pancakes with completely different ingredient combos, and a few of my favorites on the weblog are these vegan apple potato pancakes and these vegan sauerkraut potato pancakes. At present, nonetheless, I’m going again to the fundamentals with a easy however basic vegan potato latke recipe.
It has all of the yumminess of a standard potato latke, minus the eggs. And you will not be capable to cease consuming them!
That is an completely easy recipe with simply 5 substances. You possibly can taste it up with different additions (extra on that later) or eat the pancakes plain. They’re nice both method.
Desk of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These vegan potato latkes are filled with genuine, scrumptious taste. They’re eggless, however that does not imply you lose out on any of the nice taste or texture of a basic latke.
- They’re fast and simple to make. You want minutes to place the latke batter collectively and some extra minutes to fry them up.
- You do not want fancy egg replacers. We’ll harness the pure moisture and starch within the potatoes and easy pantry substances like rice flour and breadcrumbs to assist maintain these simple vegan latkes collectively.
- They’re everybody pleasant. The panko breadcrumbs within the recipe could be changed with gluten-free crumbs for a gf weight-reduction plan. The recipe is vegan, soy-free and nut-free, and everyone seems to be assured to find it irresistible.
You want a starchy potato for latkes, like russet potato or piper maris potato. It’s because the starch will assist create crispy latkes, precisely as you need them to be. Attempt to not use much less starchy potatoes, like crimson or yellow potatoes.
Most cooks peel potatoes earlier than making latkes, however I do not at all times try this, and the latkes do not undergo for it. Not peeling the potatoes additionally retains vital vitamins within the potato. Nevertheless, potatoes are within the Environmental Working Group’s “soiled dozen” greens as a result of they will take in excessive ranges of pesticides. The rule of thumb I observe is to peel the potatoes if they aren’t natural and go away the pores and skin on if they’re.
Rice flour and breadcrumbs together with the pure moisture within the potatoes will assist bind these simple vegan potato pancakes. You do not want eggs for the job!
To bake the latkes preheat the oven to 425 levels Fahrenheit/220 levels Celsius. Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray and place the latkes on it, two inches aside. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then flip and proceed to bake till either side are crispy.
- Russet potatoes. You want a starchy potato for latkes, so you should definitely use a russet or some other starchy potato. You possibly can go away the pores and skin on for those who’re utilizing natural potatoes.
- Rice flour. Rice flour helps add some extra starch to the recipe to assist bind the potatoes within the absence of eggs. You should utilize all function flour or any gluten-free flour. I would not advocate chickpea flour as a result of it’ll change the flavour of the latkes, however for those who do not thoughts it, it’ll work properly as a binder.
- Panko breadcrumbs. These will add an additional little bit of crispness to the latkes. You should utilize common breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Herbs. I used recent chives and sage. You possibly can add any herbs of your selection. Rosemary is nice with potatoes, as is cilantro. If you do not have recent herbs, you should utilize dried.
- Garlic powder. It’s also possible to use recent garlic. Grate or crush right into a paste earlier than utilizing.
- Salt and floor black pepper
- Oil for frying. I take advantage of avocado oil, which may stand up to excessive temperatures. You should utilize any impartial oil with a excessive smoke level.
Choose one among these so as to add much more scrumptious well being and taste to the vegan latkes:
- 4 finely chopped scallions for recent, oniony taste.
- Half a finely chopped onion.
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- 1 grated apple
- Latkes are often served with applesauce and the candy and savory mixture is sort of improbable. It’s also possible to serve the latkes with vegan bitter cream or with a scorching sauce.
- Prime the vegan latkes with recent herbs like chives or with scallions for an additional pop of recent taste.
- Refrigerate: Latkes are greatest eaten recent. However you probably have leftovers, refrigerate in an hermetic container for as much as three days. It’s also possible to refrigerate the batter for 2 days.
- Freeze: Freeze the latkes in an hermetic container or freezer-safe container for as much as 4 months. Thaw and reheat.
- Reheat: Heat the latkes on a non-stick griddle or cast-iron griddle sprayed with oil or cooking spray, or in an oven preheated to 400 levels Fahrenheit.
Extra vegan fritter recipes
Did you make this recipe? Go away a evaluate and a star ranking beneath or tag us on Instagram! Thanks!
These crispy vegan latkes, Jewish potato pancakes, are gorgeously easy however filled with taste. And they’re prepared in minutes! Serve these with applesauce or vegan bitter cream for breakfast or a snack.
Servings: 14 latkes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Place the grated potatoes in a dishtowel and wring out as a lot liquid as you possibly can. Acquire the liquid in a bowl.
Let the potato liquid stand in a bowl for 5 minutes. Then drain out the water that has collected on high, leaving a layer of starch beneath. That is wonderful for the latkes and can assist them crisp up, so do not discard it.
Add the potatoes to the bowl with the starch in it. Add remaining ingredients–herbs, breadcrumbs, rice flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Combine effectively and put aside for 5 minutes. The salt will assist categorical some extra liquid from the potatoes, which in flip will assist bind the pancakes. After the batter has rested for 5 minutes, combine once more. The potatoes ought to really feel moist. Kind a two-inch ball of the potato combination and pat right into a pancake in your arms to ensure it holds collectively.
Warmth a griddle over medium-high warmth and coat the underside generously with oil. Place the latkes on the griddle and fry till the underside is golden-brown and crispy.
Flip fastidiously and proceed to prepare dinner till the opposite aspect is golden-brown. Serve instantly.
Serving: 1latke | Energy: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 4g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 49IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg