This Butter Pecan Cake has an extremely gentle and moist texture that merely melts in your mouth! It’s studded with chopped pecans all through and cloaked in an irresistible brown sugar frosting. Recipe features a how-to video!
Southern Butter Pecan Cake
This butter pecan cake is just unbelievable. It’s gentle, tremendous moist (it actually melts in your mouth), and the flavour is out of this world. You’ll love how simply it mixes along with the reverse creaming methodology (first utilized in my caramel cake and most not too long ago in my peanut butter cupcakes). And don’t even get me began on the brown sugar cream cheese frosting…
The crumb of this cake is exclusive and irresistible. It’s so fluffy and lightweight, and due to the finely chopped pecans, it’s virtually a bit crumbly (however in a moist, mild manner!). The shining flavors of browned butter and nutty pecans are completely enhanced by brown sugar and vanilla, and the whole lot is superbly tied along with the brown sugar frosting (rigorously designed to not be too candy!). It’s one of the best pairing!
What you’ll love about my recipe:
- Takes simply over an hour to make.
- Beautiful (but straightforward!) remaining look your friends will love.
- Cozy and distinctive taste–nice for mixing up your conventional birthday cake!
- Unbelievable texture and crumb.
What You Want
Listed here are the important thing elements that make this butter pecan cake so particular:
- Cake flour. I don’t advocate utilizing all-purpose flour right here, as high-quality cake flour works higher for making the cake crumb mild and further gentle. Do be sure you measure your flour correctly!
- Brown sugar. We’ll use mild brown sugar within the cake and the icing. Sure, we’re additionally utilizing powdered sugar within the icing, however I promise it’s not too candy! It’s really much less sugar than normal American buttercream.
- Buttermilk. Buttermilk retains this butter pecan cake tremendous tender and moist. In the event you don’t have buttermilk available, you should use my straightforward buttermilk substitute.
- Cream cheese. Whereas there’s cream cheese on this frosting, it’s not overpowering. As a substitute, it retains the frosting from being too candy and accents the opposite flavors of the cake properly. Use full-fat, brick-style cream cheese.
- Pecans. Be sure to measure your pecans earlier than chopping them. For ease, I like to cut my pecans in a meals processor.
SAM’S TIP: I don’t toast my pecans earlier than including them (I simply don’t discover it needed right here), however you actually can. I’ve a simple information on find out how to toast pecans, on your reference!
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
The right way to Make Butter Pecan Cake
Browning the Butter
- Soften and cook dinner – Soften butter over medium-low warmth. Improve the warmth and cook dinner, stirring incessantly, because the butter begins to foam and sizzle.
- Let it cool – When you see brown specks forming on the underside of the pan, take away the butter from the warmth and pour right into a heatproof bowl to chill fully.
Chopping the Pecans
- Measure your pecans and place them within the bowl of a meals processor.
- Pulse till the pecans are high-quality crumbs, then cease. Put aside 1 ½ cups for the cake and ⅓ cup for the ornament.
Making the Cake Batter
- Dry elements – Whisk collectively the dry elements in a big bowl.
- Add the browned butter and stir with the mixer on low pace till integrated.
- Moist elements – Mix the remaining moist elements in a separate bowl, then progressively add them to the dry elements, pausing midway by way of to scrape the bowl.
- Add the pecans and stir till integrated.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t stress should you see small lumps in your batter–these are completely regular!
Making the Cake Batter
- Bake – Divide the batter between greased/floured/lined pans and bake for half-hour at 350F.
- Let the truffles cool of their pans for quarter-hour earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack to chill fully.
Making the Frosting/Prepping the Cake
- Cream the butter – Beat collectively the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt till easy.
- Add the sugar – Step by step add the powdered sugar till mixed.
- Add the cream – Pause to scrape the bowl, then add the heavy cream.
- Whip till easy and fluffy.
- Stage and stack your cake layers, including a thick layer of frosting in between every.
- Frost the edges and prime of the cake with a skinny layer of frosting.
- Add pecans on prime, if desired.
- Beautify the highest of the cake with piped frosting swirls.
SAM’S TIP: In the event you solely have two cake pans, you possibly can let the remaining batter sit coated at room temperature whereas your first two layers bake. Bear in mind to let your pan cool fully earlier than including the batter for the third layer!
Steadily Requested Questions
This cake might be made in a 9×13″ pan, however you’ll have extra batter. Fill your pan ⅔ of the best way full, then both discard the surplus batter or use it to make cupcakes.
Personally I don’t refrigerate if I plan on having fun with inside two days. If you need your cake to last more, you possibly can retailer it within the fridge for as much as one week. Butter pecan cake additionally freezes properly.
In search of extra southern-inspired recipes? Strive my candy tea or coca cola cake!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do that recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Butter Pecan Cake
Servings: 12 servings
Forestall your display from going darkish
Brown the Butter
Place butter in a medium-sized pan and cook dinner over medium/low warmth till butter is melted. Improve warmth to only above medium and cook dinner, stirring incessantly. Butter will foam, crackle, pop and sizzle. Stir, scraping the underside of the pan, till you see golden brown specks. Take away from warmth and pour right into a heatproof bowl. Enable butter to chill fully (it ought to nonetheless be liquid, however ought to not be heat to the contact) earlier than continuing.
1 cup unsalted butter
Make the Cake
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and grease 3 8” spherical baking pans with baking spray. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper to make sure the truffles gained’t stick.
In a big mixing bowl, whisk collectively cake flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3 cups cake flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup mild brown sugar
Add browned butter and use an electrical mixer to stir on low-speed till totally integrated.
In a separate bowl, whisk collectively buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, then slowly drizzle into the flour combination. Pause midway by way of and on the finish to scrape the edges and backside of the bowl (it’s alright should you discover small lumps within the batter).
1 ½ cups buttermilk, 2 giant eggs, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Stir in pecans till properly integrated.
1 ½ cups pecan halves
Evenly divide batter into ready baking sheets and bake in heart rack of 350F oven for half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear or with moist crumbs.
Enable truffles to chill of their pans for quarter-hour earlier than working a knife across the fringe of the cake to loosen it from the pan then rigorously invert onto a cooling rack to chill fully. Desserts have to be fully cooled earlier than adorning.
Brown Sugar Frosting
Mix butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a big mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat till easy and creamy.
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, 6 oz cream cheese, ⅓ cup mild brown sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low-speed, progressively add powdered sugar till fully mixed (pause periodically to scrape the edges and backside of the bowl with a spatula).
4 ½ cups powdered sugar
Add heavy cream and beat on excessive pace for 30 seconds, till frosting is easy and silky.
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
Stage truffles if wanted and adorn with frosting. I did a easy, mild overlaying for the edges of the cake with thicker frosting in between layers and on prime of the cake. To embellish the highest, I like to recommend utilizing an Ateco 846 or Ateco 848 tip. In the event you’d like, finely chop one other ⅓ cup of pecans and layer them excessive of the cake (don’t go all the best way to the sting) earlier than including the frosting swirls across the edge.
⅓ cup pecan halves
Measure pecans earlier than chopping. To get my pecans very high-quality, I toss them within the meals processor and pulse till they’re high-quality. Don’t pulse too far, otherwise you’ll flip them into nut butter!
In the event you solely have two spherical pans, bake your first two layers and go away the remaining batter coated within the mixing bowl. Enable the cake pan to chill earlier than including the remaining batter and cooking your remaining layer.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 days or within the fridge, tightly coated, for as much as per week. This cake can also be wrapped tightly and frozen
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 975kcal | Carbohydrates: 113g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 57g | Saturated Fats: 29g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 18g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 148mg | Sodium: 415mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 87g | Vitamin A: 1489IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.