As most of , I’ve been busting out wholesome muffin recipes on the web since 2011. Name me the muffin queen or simply the muffin girl. Regardless of the title, there’s no such factor as too many muffins.
Whereas muffins are my specialty, in addition they so occur to be my Grandma Gloria’s favourite factor to bake. Earlier than my Grandfather handed away just a few years in the past, she used to at all times bake him batches of muffins for snacking. They have been two peas in a pod. We nonetheless miss Grandpa to this present day however keep in mind him via little issues and by holding his reminiscence alive.
My Grandfather’s absolute favourite muffins have been banana nut, however he additionally LOVED my Grandma’s well-known wholesome bran muffins. I requested her for the recipe just a few years in the past shared them on the weblog, so I needed to carry them again for you. They’re tall, hearty, stuffed with taste and the last word muffin to unfold with no matter topping you want. Grandpa cherished honey and butter, however I like peanut butter and jam.
For these of you who don’t know the notorious Gloria, she’s my fantastic spirited, sassy grandmother. She’s Puerto Rican, a lot of the meals she cooks tends to be Spanish impressed. My Nana (Nice Grandmother) taught her how one can cook dinner every thing from scratch when she was a younger woman. Ever since then, it’s been one in all her favourite issues to do.
When my Grandma isn’t making home made pozole, empanadas, and arroz con pollo, she is often baking muffins the scale of my face. Critically give her a half hour and he or she’ll make you an unimaginable meal, however present her with a few hours and also you’ll have a masterpiece to eat. She treats each meal she makes with affection, placing the utmost love into her creations — it’s a rare high quality. She pours her soul into stews and he or she throws her spice for all times into spanish rice. Cooking is like an expression to her, and every thing is at all times made with love.
Fall in love with nutritious bran muffins
I imply, what might be extra traditional and nostalgic than a smooth, fluffy bran muffin? Not solely are they scrumptious and baked with love, however in addition they pack:
- 5g of fiber
- Almost 5g of protein
- And 10% of your each day iron wants!
Components in these wholesome bran muffins
You’re going to LOVE all the nutritious, healthful elements in these bran muffins. Plus, they’re extremely simple to make. Right here’s what you’ll have to make them:
- Flour: you’ll want whole wheat pastry flour or white entire wheat flour to present the muffins their good fluffy texture.
- Wheat bran: what makes these bran muffins, in fact, is wheat bran! Some bran muffin recipes name for bran flakes, however wheat bran retains them tremendous hearty and stuffed with fiber. I believe oat bran would work effectively, too.
- Applesauce: this helps so as to add moisture to the muffins.
- Eggs: you’ll want 2 eggs to assist the muffins bake up correctly.
- Milk: be at liberty to make use of any milk you’d like! I like to make use of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Sweetener: we’re sweetening these model muffins with brown sugar and the flavour queen — blackstrap molasses. I didn’t understand how nutritious blackstrap molasses was till I began utilizing it just a few years in the past. Actually, it’s the healthiest type of molasses and incorporates essentially the most nutritional vitamins and vitamins. Plus, the blackstrap molasses provides a lot scrumptious taste to those muffins — they nearly style like gingerbread muffins. Do you know that 1 tablespoon of molasses supplies practically 20% of your each day iron wants + a very good quantity of potassium and magnesium? I’m NOW obsessed.
- Coconut oil: I like utilizing virgin coconut oil for taste and to maintain this recipe dairy free.
- Baking staples: you’ll want each baking powder and baking soda, plus cinnamon and salt.
- Apple cider vinegar: the apple cider vinegar helps to activate the baking powder and soda to present the muffins further fluff.
Non-obligatory ingredient swaps
I extremely suggest sticking to the recipe as written to get the very best outcomes doable, however there are just a few ingredient swaps that can work out effectively:
- For the wheat bran: I believe that oat bran would additionally work effectively rather than the wheat bran.
- For the brown sugar: coconut sugar is a superb swap.
- For the coconut oil: be at liberty to make use of melted vegan butter or, should you’re not dairy free, melted butter.
- For the applesauce: I believe utilizing mashed banana would additionally work effectively. Simply be sure you measure it to be 1/3 cup.
Can I take advantage of a distinct flour?
Whereas I can not counsel a gluten free various to the entire wheat pastry flour, I do suppose you can sub all objective flour. You might want so as to add just a few further tablespoons or common flour for extra density.
Can I make them vegan?
Positive! Be at liberty to swap the two eggs for two flax eggs. Discover ways to make flax eggs right here.
Have enjoyable with scrumptious mix-ins
I LOVE jazzing up these bran muffins with yummy mix-ins! Listed here are some issues you may add to make them your personal:
Don’t neglect to high them a little bit butter or your fav nut butter on high for a brilliant wholesome filling snack.
Storing & freezing suggestions
- To retailer: place these bran muffins in an hermetic glass container or reusable silicone bag at room temperature for sooner or later, then I like to recommend storing them within the fridge. Be at liberty to heat them up within the microwave earlier than consuming.
- To freeze: enable the muffins to chill fully then put them in an hermetic container or reusable silicone bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. As soon as able to reheat, you may thaw at room temperature, or warmth up within the microwave in 30 second intervals.
Our fav instruments for baking muffins
Don’t neglect to take a look at all of our favourite kitchen necessities.
Extra wholesome muffin recipes to attempt
I hope you’re keen on these bran muffins and bake them for somebody you take care of. They received’t final lengthy! Should you make this recipe, be sure you price the recipe under and go away a remark under! You can too add a photograph to Instagram and use the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen.
Grandma’s Wholesome Bran Muffins
Healthful, wholesome bran muffins impressed by my Grandma! These simple bran muffins are made with entire grains, are deliciously moist due to applesauce, and get a stunning sweetness from blackstrap molasses. They’re really the right on-the-go breakfast or snack and are freezer pleasant!
- Dry Components:
entire wheat pastry flour or white entire wheat flour
- Moist elements:
brown sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
eggs, at room temperature
unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of alternative)
apple cider vinegar
melted coconut oil (or melted butter or vegan butter)
- Non-obligatory mix-ins ideas should you like:
contemporary or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 400 levels F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with solely 10 liners and spray the within of them with nonstick cooking spray — DO NOT SKIP THIS.
In a separate massive bowl combine collectively dry elements: wheat bran, entire wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Put aside.
In a big bowl combine collectively brown sugar, molasses, applesauce, eggs, almond milk, apple cider vinegar till effectively mixed, clean and creamy. Add dry elements to the moist elements and blend with a spatula till simply mixed. Stir in melted and cooled coconut oil (or butter), mixing once more till simply mixed. Stir in any mix-ins you need.
Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clear or with just some crumbs connected. Cool muffins for five minutes then take away and switch to a wire rack to complete cooling. Muffins are finest served heat with a little bit butter on high.
To make vegan: use two flax eggs as a substitute of standard eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal combined with 6 tablespoons chilly water).
To make gluten free: I’ve not tried to make these muffins gluten free. It sort of defeats the purpose of a bran muffin.
See the complete put up for suggestions, methods & simple methods to customise these muffins!
Servings: 10 muffins
Serving measurement: 1 muffin
Saturated fats: 6.5g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially printed on March twenty sixth, 2018, and republished on March twelfth, 2023.