I don’t find out about you, however I’ve an actual dependancy to the superfood underdog AKA pink cabbage. I’m undecided when the cabbage obsession actually began (perhaps it was from this salad) however now I’m mainly satisfied that cabbage must be in EVERYTHING. Together with this epic wholesome coleslaw recipe.
Each pink and inexperienced cabbages assist promote a wholesome intestine (which is what we’re all about lately), struggle irritation, enhance your immunity, and comprise loads of vitamins your physique wants. CABBAGE PATCH PARTY.
My favourite factor about cabbage isn’t simply the vitamin although. It’s the epic CRUNCH it provides salads and slaws. It’s addicting and I can’t cease placing it in recipes.
Is coleslaw wholesome?
Whereas coleslaw is absolutely simply made up of a bunch of crunchy, colourful greens, conventional coleslaw recipes are often lined in dressings made up of mayo and sugar. On this wholesome, paleo coleslaw recipe we’re skipping the mayo totally and tossing all the beautiful veggies with a tangy, barely candy dressing made with apple cider vinegar and easy elements to maintain the coleslaw vegan and dairy free.
Enjoyable truth: I liked coleslaw as a bit woman. I’d ask for large bowls of it with a lot of black pepper. Dad made a home made model with a lot of mayo. This model isn’t Dad’s however IT IS for all you millennials. Heh.
Substances in wholesome coleslaw
This unbelievable wholesome coleslaw recipe makes use of recent elements to create a crunchy, vibrant gut-friendly coleslaw with out mayo or sugar. It isn’t your typical coleslaw. It’s a bit candy, a bit spicy, and higher than that soggy white coleslaw they serve at eating places. You’ll want:
- Produce: I like utilizing each pink and inexperienced cabbage for further crunch and a wide range of flavors. Then we’re additionally including shredded carrots, jalapeño for a kick of warmth, inexperienced onion for a bit zippiness, and recent cilantro.
- Nuts: I like so as to add each pepitas (that are roasted pumpkin seeds) and toasted sliced almonds for a beautiful further crunch with all the veggies.
- Olive oil: a little bit of olive oil will assist the “dressing” coat all of these beautiful veggies within the coleslaw.
- Apple cider vinegar: use apple cider vinegar so as to add that tangy scrumptious taste present in coleslaw recipes. It’s additionally nice for intestine well being!
- Pure maple syrup: as an alternative of utilizing granulated sugar like in conventional coleslaw recipes, we’re simply utilizing a little bit of pure maple syrup to calmly sweeten the coleslaw. Be at liberty to regulate relying on how candy you prefer it.
- Garlic: a bit garlicky taste makes this wholesome coleslaw further scrumptious.
- Cayenne pepper: add a pinch of cayenne for a bit further warmth, or be at liberty to omit.
- Salt & pepper: to convey all the flavors collectively.
The most effective wholesome coleslaw in 4 simple steps
- Add all the coleslaw elements to a big bowl apart from the pepitas, almonds and dressing.
- In a smaller bowl, add your dressing elements and whisk to mix.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss nicely to mix. Style and alter seasonings if want be. Place the coleslaw within the fridge for no less than 1 hour to let the flavors marinate.
- Earlier than serving, add within the pepitas and toasted almonds and toss to mix.
Retailer this simple, wholesome coleslaw in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is an incredible make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQs as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Recipes to pair with this wholesome coleslaw
Extra scrumptious aspect dishes
Get all of my aspect dish recipes right here!
In case you make this wholesome coleslaw recipe, be sure you tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d additionally love should you would depart a remark beneath and charge the recipe. We recognize you! xo.
Greatest Wholesome Coleslaw Ever (no mayo!)
The BEST wholesome coleslaw made with recent purple cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and a kick of warmth from jalapeño. There isn’t any mayo or sugar, only a naturally candy and barely tangy dressing with a touch of pure maple syrup. This easy, wholesome coleslaw recipe is vegan, paleo & dairy free and excellent serving along with your favourite grilling recipes all summer time!
- For the slaw:
medium head of purple cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
medium head of inexperienced cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups shredded cabbage)
heaping cups shredded carrots
finely chopped cilantro
jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
inexperienced onion (inexperienced half solely)
toasted sliced almonds
- For the dressing:
further virgin olive oil
apple cider vinegar
pure maple syrup, relying how candy you want your slaw
garlic, finely minced
cayenne pepper, non-obligatory
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Add all of the elements for the slaw apart from the almonds and pepitas to a big bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively all of the elements for the dressing. Pour all around the slaw and toss nicely to mix. Style and alter seasonings as obligatory. Cowl and place in fridge for no less than an hour to permit flavors to marinate collectively.
Earlier than serving, sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and pepitas; toss once more and serve.
Learn how to retailer coleslaw: retailer this coleslaw lined within the fridge for as much as 5 days. That is an incredible make-ahead recipe for picnics and BBQ’s as a result of the flavors deepen because the coleslaw marinates!
Servings: 8 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially printed on Might 18th, 2020, and republished on Might twenty fifth, 2023.