Let’s flash again to round 2012 once I was off making an attempt to excellent the very best chocolate chip cookie. I used to be dwelling in Washington D.C. on the time and my total world exterior of labor included baking my coronary heart out. It took me months and months to seek out an correct and scrumptious ratio between butter (it needed to be browned), brown sugar (a better ratio than white sugar) and naturally, chocolate (two varieties of chips!)
I used to be bored with making home made chocolate chip cookies that had been overly crispy and flat, just like the Tollhouse model that’s boring as hell. What I wished was a chewy within the center, delectable, melt-in-your-mouth middle that despatched me to heaven in only one chew. Nevertheless, I additionally desired a barely crispy edge that may maintain collectively nicely upon dunking into a giant glass of milk. You are feeling me? Cookie perfection ain’t simple, individuals.
Nicely, it’s been over 10 years since I created these brown butter chocolate chip cookies, they usually’re nonetheless #1 on the web and in everybody’s hearts. They’re really my perpetually favourite, particularly if you wish to get a little bit wild and stuff them with nutella.
FREE Final Information to Cookie Baking
Enroll under and get a FREE printable e-book with my greatest suggestions & methods for baking excellent cookies each time!
The BEST cookies you’ll ever eat
These brown butter chocolate chip cookies aren’t simply epic, but additionally life-changing. A number of of my mates have baked them time and time once more, solely to inform me that they’ll by no means make one other chocolate chip cookie recipe just because this one is one of the best. When you look again by way of the outdated publish, you’ll see that these cookies obtain rave critiques. So mainly what I’m saying is that I do know you’ll love my go-to chocolate chip cookie too.
The magic of brown butter
The important thing ingredient right here is, after all, brown butter! When you’ve by no means browned butter earlier than you need to know that it’s really easy and makes every little thing SO far more scrumptious. Get all of my suggestions & methods for browning butter right here, and take a look at all of my recipes utilizing brown butter right here! Get able to fall in love.
Let’s speak elements
What makes these brown butter chocolate chip cookies so particular? There are a number of key ingredient ratios that really make them one-of-a-kind. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Flour: this recipe makes use of good outdated all purpose flour to get the right texture. I do NOT advocate swapping flours right here.
- Brown butter: the brown butter is what actually makes them so distinctive. The flavour profile is nutty, candy, toasty and harking back to a caramel hazelnut taste.
- Sugar: as an alternative of doing a half-and-half ratio of normal granulated white sugar and brown sugar, I do principally brown sugar and solely a little bit of white sugar. The brown sugar helps to maintain the cookies softer and chewier within the center, but nonetheless permits for crispy, scrumptious edges. Usually I select darkish brown sugar as a result of it has a tiny bit extra molasses within the flavoring, which once more, helps to realize an out-of-this-world cookie. Don’t fear although, gentle brown sugar additionally works.
- Egg + egg yolk: this recipe requires 1 egg + a further 1 egg yolk, which makes all of the distinction in making a wealthy texture and the right consistency. Simply belief me.
- Greek yogurt: it sounds loopy, however a tiny little bit of yogurt helps activate the baking soda so that you get moist, pretty dough and wonderful, crinkly tops. When you’re out of greek yogurt, strive bitter cream.
- Chocolate chips: one other factor that makes this recipe distinctive is the TWO varieties of chocolate chips, milk chocolate and semi-sweet. It actually simply creates extra taste profiles. When you like darkish chocolate, then you are able to do that and semi-sweet. Completely as much as you.
- Baking staples: after all, don’t neglect the baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Discover ways to make your personal vanilla right here! I additionally prefer to sprinkle the cookies with fancy sea salt after baking.
Can I make them gluten free?
Sadly, I can’t advocate gluten free substitute that may yield the identical wonderful cookies. Be happy to check out any of my gluten free cookies right here.
Ideas for making excellent brown butter chocolate chip cookies
With these easy suggestions & methods you’ll make the very best cookies each time:
- Don’t use substitutes. Until I present swaps (like bitter cream for the greek yogurt) don’t substitute different elements because the cookies is not going to prove the identical.
- Use room temp elements. After browning your butter, ensure it’s cool sufficient to the touch earlier than including it to your dough. I often set it apart to chill for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than making the recipe. Additionally, remember to scrape each little bit of brown butter out of your pan. You’ll wish to ensure your eggs are at room temp, too, so that they don’t coagulate with the butter. Merely run the eggs underneath heat water for a couple of minute or place them in a bowl of heat water for a couple of minutes.
- Measure your flour accurately. Are you aware one of the simplest ways to measure flour and not using a scale? Get my suggestions & methods in this video!
- Chill the dough. Sure, this recipe requires you to sit back the dough, however I promise it’s price it. Chilling cookie dough permits the cookies to create a clean caramel taste, with crispy brown edges, a chewy inside and crackly tops. This occurs as a result of the fats within the recipe (butter) is strong and the sugar additionally absorbs a few of it. Belief me, it’s a game-changer.
Find out how to freeze cookie dough
Freezing cookie dough is great as a result of it means that you can prep forward when you will have visitors or are throwing a celebration. I LOVE freezing additional cookie dough as a result of that manner I can pop them within the oven each time I need and it’s nice if you wish to deliver one thing to a celebration or to a cherished one’s home, however don’t really feel like having a baking extravaganza. Right here’s the best way to do it.
- After the dough is finished chilling within the fridge for no less than half-hour, roll the cookie dough into balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the dough within the freezer for half-hour. This is named a flash freeze.
- As soon as the cookie dough balls agency up, you possibly can switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container. Cookie dough will hold nicely for as much as 3 months.
- When able to bake, merely bake cookies as directed within the recipe. You’ll probably simply want so as to add a number of additional minutes of baking time!
Watch me make brown butter chocolate chip cookies
Freeze baked cookies for later
If you wish to freeze the already baked cookies for later, merely await them to chill fully, then switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container lined with wax or parchment paper. I like to position them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. Cookies will hold nicely for as much as 2 months. As soon as able to eat, merely thaw out at room temperature and revel in.
Extra cookie recipes you’ll love
Get all of my cookie recipes right here!
I hope you take pleasure in these brown butter chocolate chip cookies as a lot as I really like baking them. When you make them remember to depart a remark and a ranking so I understand how you preferred them! Take pleasure in, xo!
The Greatest Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies You will Ever Eat
Prep Time 2 hours 20 minutes
Complete Time 2 hours 30 minutes
World well-known brown butter chocolate chip cookies made with darkish brown sugar, two varieties of chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt. These epic cookies are completely crispy on the surface, chewy within the center, and are, in actual fact, the BEST cookies you’ll ever eat.
unsalted butter (2 sticks)
packed darkish brown sugar
giant egg + 1 extra egg yolk, at room temperature
plain greek yogurt
semi-sweet chocolate chips
milk chocolate chips (or sub darkish chocolate chips)
- Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling on high
First, brown your butter: add butter to a big saucepan and place over medium warmth. The butter will start to crackle, after which ultimately foam. Be sure you whisk continuously throughout this course of. After a few minutes, the butter will start to brown and switch a pleasant golden amber coloration on the underside of the saucepan. Proceed to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma. Instantly switch the butter to a medium bowl to stop burning. Put aside to chill for 10 minutes or till cool sufficient to the touch.
With an electrical mixer, combine the brown butter and sugars till nicely mixed, about 1 minute. Beat within the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and yogurt till mixed.
In a separate giant bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry elements to the moist elements and beat on low-speed simply till mixed. Add each chocolate chips and blend on low velocity till simply included into the dough.
Chill your dough for two hours within the fridge, or as much as 12-24 hours. Don’t attempt to velocity up this course of. The dough wants to sit back with the intention to be excellent.
Useful tip: If you wish to make it simpler to bake the cookies, I recommend rolling them into balls BEFORE chilling the dough. That manner you possibly can merely place them on the ready baking sheet and bake! As much as you. I often put my dough within the fridge for 10 minutes, then I take it out roll them into balls, place on a plate or baking sheet and place within the fridge for an additional hour or two.
As soon as dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 levels F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You may have to take out the dough and thaw it out a bit earlier than measuring the dough whether it is tremendous exhausting and also you didn’t already roll the cookie dough into balls. This could take about 20 minutes. As soon as able to bake, measure 2 heaping tablespoons of the dough or use a medium cookie scoop. It would not must be completely rolled. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches aside.
Bake the cookies Sept. 11 minutes or till the sides of the cookies start to show golden brown. They may look a bit underdone within the center, however will proceed to prepare dinner as soon as out of the oven.
Cool the cookies on the sheets for five minutes to permit them to arrange, then sprinkle every cookie with sea salt. Take away the cooled cookies from the baking sheets and switch to a wire rack to chill fully. Makes 24-36 cookies.
See the total publish for suggestions, methods, freezing directions, and extra!
Recipe by Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen| Pictures by Sarah Fennel
This publish was initially revealed on October nineteenth, 2016, republished on November thirtieth, 2019, and republished on December 4th, 2022.