This the other way up apple pie is unbelievable! Layers of tart apples are enveloped in a caramel pecan smothered pie crust and completed off with a candy glaze. Wow!
Rethink basic apple pie with this distinctive and scrumptious the other way up model.
Not solely is the pie loaded with sweet-tart apples, however the scrumptious caramel pecan layer makes it completely distinctive!
How one can Make an Upside Down Pie
I do know. It’s sort of a bizarre concept. A pie turned the other way up?
However it works, partly, due to that caramel pecan layer. Let’s undergo the steps collectively:
- Line a deep pie pate with parchment paper or heavy responsibility foil and grease with cooking spray (don’t overlook! belief me, I’ve forgotten the greasing step and it doesn’t finish properly).
- Unfold a combination of butter, brown sugar and pecans within the backside of the parchment or foil.
- Roll out the primary pie crust and match it snugly excessive of the caramel layer.
- Fill the pie with the apple combination (Granny smith apples work finest on this pie!).
- High with pie crust, minimize a number of slits, flute the sides and bake!
Fast Notice on Pie Edges
For any double crust pie, I trim the highest and backside crust to about 1/4- or 1/2-inch and fold the underside crust excessive crust.
Because the crust folds up and over, press to seal the 2 crusts collectively after which flute the sides!
Necessary Baking Notes
Baking Tip #1: Place the pie on a foil-lined baking sheet to bake!
That caramel layer, which we love and help with all our hearts, might tend to bubble up whereas baking and also you don’t need it ending up on the ground of the oven.
Baking Tip #2: if the sides or high of the pie are over browning, cowl with foil or pie shields to proceed baking. The apples ought to be tender earlier than eradicating the pie from the oven.
The Fantastic thing about This Pie
Don’t fear about how this pie seems to be when it comes out of the oven.
The truth is, it is a nice pie for newcomers, as a result of it doesn’t matter if the sides aren’t good or if the crust is slightly cracked or if the caramel will get all oozy doozy.
As soon as the pie has rested out of the oven for a couple of minutes, it will get turned the other way up and that high crust is rarely to be seen once more! (However you WILL discover how delightfully non-soggy the underside of the pie is as soon as it’s flipped because the high crust bakes up crispier than a traditional backside crust.)
Have a look at that wonderful caramel pecan layer. Oh my. ????
To Glaze or To not Glaze
As soon as the pie has cooled a bit, the straightforward glaze (actually two substances) is drizzled excessive.
You don’t essentially have to glaze the pie, however the little increase of sweetness is wonderful with the tart apples and buttery pie crust.
As famous within the recipe, you should utilize milk OR orange juice for the glaze. Milk lends a creamier observe to the glaze whereas the orange juice provides a vivid recent pop to the glaze.
Upside Down Apple Pie Suggestions
Listed below are a number of further ideas and notes for this unbelievable pie:
- Like most fruit pies, this the other way up apple pie slices extra cleanly if it’s allowed to chill a bit.
- It may be made forward of time and refrigerated. I counsel gently reheating (particular person slices or the entire pie) for the very best tasting expertise.
- The pecans add a pleasant toasty crunch, however they are often unnoticed if desired (simply unfold the butter and brown sugar within the backside of the pie plate).
- An everyday 9-inch pie plate shall be too small for this quantity of apples. Make sure that to make use of a deep pie plate or scale back the quantity of apples within the recipe.
I really like every thing about this pie!
It’s so distinctive! And whereas generally recipes strive so laborious to be totally different that they find yourself simply being bizarre, this pie succeeds in all the most effective methods.
It has all of the flavors of fantastic apple pie with additional bonus factors for that caramel pecan layer and the additional delight of throwing warning to the wind and flipping a pie utterly the other way up.
It’s a liberating and delightful expertise.
I hope you like this one!
One 12 months In the past: Simple No-Knead Peasant Bread
Two Years In the past: Superb Simple Fluffy Blender Rolls My Thanksgiving Roll
Three Years In the past: Good Selfmade Caramel Apples Tons of Tips + Greatest Caramel to Use
4 Years In the past: Good Small Batch Cinnamon Rolls
5 Years In the past: Simple Selfmade French Bread
Six Years In the past: Harvest Pasta Sauce Dealer Joe’s Copycat
Seven Years In the past: Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake with Chocolate Cookie Crust
Eight Years In the past: Simple Selfmade Egg Noodles Step-by-Step Photos Embrace Meals Processor Methodology or By Hand
9 Years In the past: Black Bean and Butternut Enchilada Skillet
Ten Years In the past: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Upside Down Apple Pie
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (see observe)
Caramel Pecan Layer:
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter, melted (I take advantage of salted)
- ½ cup (106 g) evenly packed gentle or darkish brown sugar
- ¼ to ½ cup (20-60 g) chopped pecans
- 8 cups (790 g) peeled and thinly sliced tart apples, like Granny Smith (see observe)
- 1 cup (212 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (47 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (57 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or orange juice (see observe)
Preheat oven to 375 levels F. Line a 9- or 9.5-inch deep pie plate with parchment paper or heavy responsibility foil. Grease with cooking spray (necessary!).
In a small bowl, stir collectively the 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Unfold evenly throughout the underside of the lined pie plate. Sprinkle pecans throughout the highest.
Roll out one pie crust and place it on high of the caramel nut combination, urgent cosy towards the underside and sides.
In a big bowl, mix the apples, sugar, flour, 2 tablespoons melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Toss till evenly and properly mixed.
Fill the pie crust with the apple combination.
Roll out the second pie crust and place it over the apples. Trim each crusts to about 1/4- to 1/2-inch all the way in which round. Fold up the underside crust excessive crust and press to seal. Flute the sides.
Minimize 4 slits on high of the pie.
Place the pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 50-60 minutes till the apples are tender and crust is evenly golden (cowl edges of the pie close to the tip of baking time to forestall over browning, if wanted).
Cool the pie for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than fastidiously inverting onto a serving platter or into one other pie plate. Take away the parchment or foil.
Whisk collectively the glaze substances and drizzle over the pie. Serve heat or at room temperature.
Apples: I’ve made this pie a number of totally different occasions with totally different kinds of apples and it’s by far the most effective when made with a tart apple like Granny Smith.
Orange Juice: orange juice provides a tart freshness to the glaze if you wish to use that as an alternative of milk (milk lends a creamier taste and texture).
Serving: 1 serving, Energy: 557kcal, Carbohydrates: 89g, Protein: 4g, Fats: 23g, Saturated Fats: 9g, Ldl cholesterol: 23mg, Sodium: 248mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 59g
Recipe Supply: barely tailored from this recipe
Disclaimer: I’m a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a way for me to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.